August 26, 2011

First day of school..new beginnings

Hi friends. Today my sweet reds start a brand new school year. Our family has had a great summer and I'm a little sad to see it end. It will be very quiet around the house without the girls here during the day. I'm also looking forward though to hearing all the buzz about the new school year and watching the girls play some volleyball!
With a new school year comes lots of changes. Josey(right) is a Freshman this year and Jordan(left) will be in 8th grade. As our girls are growing up, it's now more than ever that we really see the adults that they are becoming. It's now, as parents, that we need to help our children to be the best they can be. We've been having a lot of talks about the things that comes into our lives. Whether it's girl drama at school or issues that we as parents have to deal with, we are watching them and they are watching us. We are learning from each other.

We have decided that the best approach is to begin with our own attitudes. All of us as a family. We are teaching the girls to stand on their own two feet. That what others say or how they act is not our responsibility. That we should approach each day with a positive attitude and go about our business. Be the best we can be. The rest will all fall into place.

So today I'm printing off one of my favorite clips I've kept for years. I'm taping one to each of the girls' mirrors. Positive reinforcement is a great thing! Here's to your best years yet, my sweet girls!!
(from Pinterest)

And with that I am sitting in a very, very quiet house. A little too quiet. I think I'll get busy and.......
(from Pinterest)

13 comments:

lisa westphal said...

Very well said. I kinda got misty-eyed while reading it. We try our best to live exactly as you described. We fall off track, but hop right back on. Good for you for doing an amazing job nurturing such wonderful young ladies.

Melissa said...

I feel like you do this week with the return of school days! The house is soooo quiet that I'm having to learn what it's like to really focus again! Love the attitude quote! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Get to it, girl! Enjoy your day. Love ya, Mish!

kolleen said...

Thanks for the reminder about our attitude!

Jani said...

Love the quote by Chuck Swindoll on ATTITUDE! He was my pastor for nearly 20 years when he was in California and I have many wonderful memories. Hope this is a wonderful school year for your girls. Thanks for sharing your life experiences (and crafy ideas) with us!

Eveline said...

In The Netherlands most children come home for lunch until they go to high school (aged 12). This is the final year my son comes home for lunch. It's going to be very quiet next schoolyear.
Eveline.

Marci said...

Well Said!! Great reminder that OUR attitudes are the first ones that make an impression on our kids. Start of school is always a bitter sweet time for us mom's. Love to see them growing up and becoming young adults but hard to let go! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings on this day! Good advice that all parents need to be reminded of!

Lisa Petrella said...

LOVE that quote about attitude!! You are a GREAT mom!!! Kudos to you for building and nurturing strong character in your daughters!!!!

Lynn said...

Perfect, perfect, perfect Mish! Thank you for sharing with us!

Anne said...

I am a great grandmother in her late seventies so my chicks have been away from the roost for years. That quote is wonderful. I have never read that before but I am going to copy it for my great grand daughter and her brother. They are both in high school and they are really good kids but I know this will impress them too. You are a very wise and obviously very loving Mom. Once you are a Mom you are one for life. I am so impressed with you Mish, with the way you live your life and your art of paper crafting. Thank you so much.

Neusinha said...

Thanks a lot for trying to understand me.

karen said...

I love this saying and you posted it just when my son needs it the most. Thanks for all the work and wisdom you put on your blog

Sharon (BennBoo Creations) said...

I remember when I first sprung upon your blog, you were in Branson and I had just got back from there! The girls seemed so young back then.
Hide the clocks! They're taking over!! :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails