August 12, 2011

Fillable Frames Additions 2 & Simple Sunflower

Hi there, today I'm introducing Fillable Frames Additions 2 and Simple Sunflower. Both of these new Papertrey sets will be available on August 15th at Papertrey Ink. For more information and fun projects using these sets, be sure to visit Nichole's blog today too.

I'm starting off my projects today by using the Fillable Frames Additions 2 stamp set and all of the coordinating dies that are already available at Papertrey from previous releases. I'll be showing you a few fun tags I created for this fun project coming up......stay tuned to the blog. :)
For now though, let's look at a fun fun tags you can create by mixing and matching stamp sets, one of my favorite crafty things to do. Here I've die cut three of the same tags on Kraft cardstock and stamped the tag image on with Smokey Shadow ink. I used Maile's new Autumn Acorns to add the sentiment + the acorn image in Dark Chocolate ink.
By adhering all three tags to patterned paper, you can cut around the tags to create a fun journaling embellishment. I machine stitched over the chocolate baker's twine. I recently saw the idea for this this fun tag technique on Ali Edwards' blog.
Here I've stamped a swirly frame onto the coordinating die which was cut from patterned paper. The round, stamped embellishments are from Dawn's new Gratitude Journal stamp set coming out this month. I mixed and matched sentiments to create a *grateful for you* phrase.
Here I used a classy looking frame that was die cut from Rustic White cardstock and stamped with Smokey Shadow ink. This little tag will be adhered to a brown paper sack that is folded to create a pocket.
This fun embellishment will be perfect for a little page listing the menu items for Thanksgiving dinner this year. I used a frame die cut + stamp to create a fun placemat. Then I used Nichole's new Table Service stamp set to create a place setting, complete with dinner plate + utensils. Love. I will be using Nichole's new set a ton, I can already tell!
Here I've used a frame die + new frame stamp to create a cork embellishment. It's fun to experiment with different items and your die cutting machine. The cork is super pliable and die cuts so easily + it takes ink really well + can be ran through the sewing machine. This embellishment will be adhered to a piece of clear cardstock.
And lastly, I made an embellishment that uses Dawn's Gratitude Journal stamp set again + another frame from the new Fillable Frames Additions 2 stamp set. A vintage button tied with chocolate baker's twine finishes it off nicely.

You'll be able to see this project in full later on this week. You'll definitely want to have the new frames set + dies in your stash. They're *go to* products for me and I keep them handy at all times.
Today I'm also showcasing Simple Sunflower. As a reminder, this set was available for free with a $100 order at Stamp-a-faire last month. This month it's available to everyone again as a product in the regular line up. Plus now there's a coordinating die to go with the stamp set.

When I first received my Simple Sunflower stamp set to make samples for Stamp-a-faire, I did not receive the dies as they weren't ready yet from the manufacturer. I realized how spoiled I've gotten by always receiving the dies and the coordinating stamps at the same time. And I know that many of you as customers are not always able to purchase the stamps + the dies all in one month because your wish list items are always changing and rearranging....right?

Well today I want to show you a few ways to create focal points with the main images in stamp sets without the use of the coordinating dies. Below are three sunflower cards that I created using traditional Kansas yellow and brown sunflower images but without the use of the sunflower dies.
To start off my projects I first stamped a bunch of sunflower images onto my Rustic Cream Cardstock. I punched these out with various sized circle punches. These circles with the sunflowers will become the main accents on all three of my cards today.

On this first card I created a background by running my cardstock through my die cutting machine using the Woodgrain Impression Plate. I punched more holes in this woodgrain piece and added in smaller punched circles of patterned paper from Happy Spots.
The grouping of all the circle accents makes for a fun card. I used a visual triangle + odd numbers to keep the card design balanced.
Next up I used my sewing machine to sew a triangle of circles on my base Rustic Cream Cardstock.
By using pop dots to adhere the sunflower circles, the machine stitching really stands out.
And lastly I made use of other Papertrey dies to accent my card front. I used the Sunshine Impression Plate to create more circle accents for my card. Tied vintage buttons also add the repetition of circles to the card.
Other dies I used to to pop up the focal point were the curved accent die from Sending You + the Simple Circles Border die under the tied ribbon.
So there you have it. A few more ways to add focal points to your cards while you're patiently waiting to acquire more dies. I hope you've enjoyed my post today. Be sure to check Nichole's blog link at the top of this post to see more creations + to check out more links to Design Team projects today. Enjoy!

9 comments:

Meredith MacRitchie said...

Mish, I *love* these cards... I love the idea of offsetting the image in the circle die cut - something that would translate to so many other images to create a focal point (as if you didn't already know that)!

Unknown said...

Gorgeous simple sunflower! I love how pretty it is. Love your notebook too:)

A Cup of Cold Water said...

Oh, Mish! I LOVE these projects. I cannot wait to see the book in its entirety ~ LOVE
And, I am such a sucker for Sunflowers, and for that matter, anything KANSAS!
You did us proud, girl!
Thanks so much!
Susan

Kathy Mc said...

Super idea to share some options with the sunflower stamp and no die, which we could apply to other stamps as well. Very clever ~ love the different looks!

Gabby said...

Great sunflower cards! I like the way you incorporated so many PTI products into this current month's release. Love to see that! :)

Pam W. said...

WOW Mish! I am loving these cards with the Simple Sunflower set. I love the image on all of the circles. You have totally inspired me to try this layout!!

Have a great weekend!

Diana F. said...

You are so creative to use basic circle punches for the sunflowers, now why dont I think of those things? You journal looks awesome and thanks to you I am obsessed with all things that are a tag. You are such a good enabler.

Pamela A said...

Love your idea of using the circles to hold the sunflower image. You are so right to make a list, then revised, again and again and some just can't come along for the ride - sigh :{. I wish there was a discount when both the stamp & die(s) are purchased with the same order wink-wink ;). Can you make that happen?!?

bethann said...

Love the tags. great cards

Related Posts with Thumbnails